Over the course of a month, I want to help you appreciate the Bible more by helping you get a better understanding of the story the Bible tells.
As Tim Keller has written, “We usually read the Bible as a series of disconnected stories, each with a “moral” for how we should live our lives. It is not. Rather, it comprises a single story, telling us how the human race got into its present condition, and how God through Jesus Christ has come and will come to put things right.”
These Bible readings will help you write your own summary of that single story by taking you to various passages throughout the Scripture that clarify exactly how God is doing that.
Helps for Getting the Most from Your Study
*Review where you are in the story so far
*Read the passages for each day out loud
*Get out a notebook and answer the following questions for each day:
- What stands out to you the most after having read through these Scriptures?
- If someone asked you what the passages you read that day were mostly about, what would you say?
- What do you think was the main point of what you were reading?
- What did these passages teach you about the character of God? What did they teach you about us as humans? What did they teach you about how God saves people?
- Write one paragraph that summarizes the part of the gospel story these passages tell.
1 Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins.
3 Once we, too, were foolish and disobedient. We were misled and became slaves to many lusts and pleasures. Our lives were full of evil and envy, and we hated each other.
27 And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment.
6 When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.
2 Corinthians 4:6
6 For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.
4 But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, 5 that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!) 6 For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus.