It is vital that we spend time in God’s Word.
But it’s not always easy.
We read a chapter and we don’t know what to get out of it or even how to start to understand it.
I thought I could try to help you get a little something out of what you are reading by providing you with some questions to ask as you look at the text. Good questions are a good start to understanding. Sometimes there will be more questions, sometimes less.
You can do this!
So, get a notebook, a pen, your Bible, and if you would like some help, take some time to answer the questions, and you may be surprised by all God teaches you.
- We are going to read a story about Isaac blessing Jacob. Jacob was the younger son and Esau was the older. Isaac should have blessed Esau. And in verse 1ff, we see that he wants to. What does Isaac to tell Esau to do and why does he want him to do it?
- Now what had God said was going to happen back in 25:23?
- So Jacob was going to be exalted over Esau. But it’s not looking like that is going to happen at this moment because Isaac loves Esau. How is God going to fulfill His prophecy?
- It starts with an eavesdropping wife. What does Rebekah do after she hears of Isaac’s plan?
- What is Jacob concerned about when he hears his mom’s plan? He’s not concerned about whether it is right, he’s just concerned about whether it is going to work.
- Jacob deceives Isaac and receives the blessing. What is the blessing he gives him in verse 29?
- So this is important, because we are seeing more clearly who the Promised Seed is going to come through. It’s not going to be Esau’s descendants but Jacob’s. Esau hears what Isaac has done, and he gets angry and desperate. Isaac does finally provide a blessing for him, and what is it in verse 40? (That will be important to remember when we get to Obadiah!)
- What does Esau want to do to his brother? How does Rebekah protect the Promised Seed?
- What had Esau done that made his parent’s life so difficult? What does Rebekah hope that Jacob does not do?
- God is busy fulfilling His promise in the middle of the mess of human relationships and sinful people. What an encouragement! There’s deception, there’s brother wanting to murder brother, there’s eavesdropping, and yet behind all this, there’s God getting done exactly what He wants to get done. He did it in Genesis, and be encouraged, He is doing the same thing now!