It is vital that we spend time in God’s Word.
But it’s not always easy.
We read a chapter and we don’t know what to get out of it or even how to start to understand it.
I thought I could try to help you get a little something out of what you are reading by providing you with some questions to ask as you look at the text. Good questions are a good start to understanding. Sometimes there will be more questions, sometimes less.
You can do this!
So, get a notebook, a pen, your Bible, and if you would like some help, take some time to answer the questions, and you may be surprised by all God teaches you.
- How long has Joseph been ‘forgotten’ in prison after the cupbearer left at this point?
- Pharaoh has a dream. Dreams are playing a big part in the Joseph story! He had a couple of dreams himself about the future, and now, this is two times when God has given dreams to unbelievers about the future. At the very least, what does this tell you about God?
- God’s in control of dreams, and he’s in control of people. What had to happen to get the cupbearer to this point where he could tell the Pharaoh about Joseph?
- Pharaoh wants Joseph to interpret the dream, but what does Joseph say in response? What can you learn from Joseph here?
- What does Joseph say about God as he interprets Pharaoh’s dream?
- Pharaoh is a powerful human ruler, but who really is in charge?
- What does Pharaoh say about Joseph after he interprets his dream? And what does Pharaoh do for Joseph?
- Now think about Joseph. He’s gone from what to what, in a moment!
- If you said to someone about Joseph while he was sitting in prison, tomorrow he will be the second in charge of Egypt, what do you think they would say to you? But what does this teach us about God? What lessons can we learn about life from this?
- What were they calling out about Joseph as he sat in the second chariot?
- In a short while, Joseph is married and has children. What does he name those children? Why? What do you think Joseoph has learned about God?
- What picture do you get of Pharaoh and Joseph’s relationship?
- What happens to Egypt in the middle of the terrible famine that was affecting the whole world as a result of Joseph?